Tuesday, December 2, 2008

He's not one of the girls

When this little guy was born we were all happier than I think we have ever been. I hadn't planned on having another baby and after having three girls, really hadn't expected a boy. I remember Dave and I talking about what would be different about a boy and coming to the conclusion that it can't be too much different than the girls.
See, isn't he the sweetest baby? He had baby acne so bad and his skin was peeling off in sheets because, as the nurse said, he cooked too long. He weighed 9lbs 10.02 ounces. Those .02 ounces are very important you know. He looks like he's three months old.

As the boy started to grow, we saw how he was different from the girls. His teethe started to come in at three months two weeks. He was crawling at five months and by the time he was nine months he was running. We should have known we were in for trouble. But noooo, did we think? NOOOOO, we did not. Let me tell you about our last week. Tuesday afternoon the boy comes to me. His mouth is open and he's pointing down his throat. What? I say. He points again and said to me, money. I say money in your mouth? No, he says, money. So at this point I know he probably swallowed a penny. I'm not too worried and pack him up in the car to take one of his sisters on a play date. On the way home, it's raining and very dark. We are on the interstate and it's 8 miles between exits and the boy starts to puke. I started flipping out because it's dark and I can't see and his sister, upon seeing her brother spew forth proceeds to spew forth. I pull over and check out the situation and decide I should probably take him to the ER but I can't cause there is so much puke. So I than decide, since he's breathing okay, he needs a bath. I get him home and bathe him and his sister and the boy if fine. I don't take him anywhere and figure if it doesn't come out the other end I'll call his doctor. I can do this boy thing I'm thinking. It's not hard, I just need to pay more attention. So the next morning everyone is home. Dave is doing paper work and I'm making pie crust in the kitchen. It's too quiet. Hey, I yell out, where's the baby? I dunno, is the response from everyone. Does that happen to anyone else? Or just me? We find him upstairs covered in VASELINE. The whole jar. I wish I would have thought to take a picture but I was too busy trying to find out if it would kill him from eating it. It didn't, and his hair was nice and greasy for a few days. Plus, we didn't have to wonder if the penny would come out. Let's say a lot came out over the next few days.

About two hours after that, I'm in one shower and Dave is in another and the three kids are playing with blocks. My husband starts yelling to me. Melissa!!!! Quick, the boy's gone! Get down here now! I jump out of the shower with shampoo in my hair and throw on my robe and run. Everyone is outside and hollering his name. It's so quiet. No one is around. I start to flip out. The girls are behind the barn trudging through 4 inches of rain water from that the storm left the night before. They don't have on shoes. They think their brother fell in the water and they are looking for him. I am flipping out! Then we hear him. He was in the top part of the barn. He had pulled the barn doors and slid in between the crack. He was okay and so we we. Just very cold. We came in and had cocoa. Then I put the boy to bed where I knew he would be fine. The only other thing I'm going to say about this is, boy's ARE different than girls.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

KimberlyDi said...

That one is going to keep you one your toes. He's gorgeous.

carsick said...

He sure does keep us running! But we can't get mad at him. The worse he is the more we have to go in the other room to laugh.

FishermansDaughter said...

I have two boys and while I agree they're different from girls - whoa! you got yourself a REAL LIVE WIRE there sistah - I got more grey hair from just READING this entry than I from parenting my kids for their respective 10 and 6 years. Can't imagine what it must be like to live it every day. *making the sign of the cross* LOL! FWIW I spend a lot of time "in the other room laughing" here too - to me - it's one of the best perks of being a mom.

Mama Goose said...

Oh.My.Word. And I thought O was a tough one. You got me beat sister.