Sunday, February 15, 2009

Elmo

My boy likes Elmo. I mean really likes Elmo. So instead of trying to make an Elmo cake on my own, (I tried once it wasn't pretty) I bought these cupcakes at Walmarts. Isn't this the cutest darn thing? He was so happy when he saw it. They also had an Elmo pinata but I don't think he was ready to see people smash his lovey.
His face is still red this morning. Yuck. I can imagine that his insides are all lit up from the food coloring. I almost didn't get the cake because of it. I was won over when the the girls started jumping up and down and chanting, "Get it," Get it!"
Nothing sways me more than happy giggling little girls. I just love them.

Dane is the one of our kids that likes Sesame Street Characters. Though he doesn't watch much TV, I try to show him if it's on. He sits for a minute and hugs his Elmo but is off and racing.

When Chrissy and Mimi were small we had bought a Cookie Monster that laughed. Do you remember those? They were so scared of it they would cry just looking at it. We also had a stuffed Billy The Marlin that Kadie brought home from a baseball game. They cried when they saw that to. Well, our shower pan rotted in our bathroom and ruined the Pergo that we had just put down in the hall going between the bedrooms. This was particularly frustrating as the first time it was layed the workers messed it up and we (Dave) replaced it himself. It hadn't been down a month. Anyway, there was a closet in the hall you had to walk by to get to the girls room and in order to lay the flooring you had to take the door off. This closet had all my cleaning supplies in it. Every time the girls would go by they were pulled into stopping and looking. So, OMG I can't believe I'm going to admit this, I put Billy The Marlin on the bottom shelf and Cookie Monster about half way up. They no longer wanted to stop and look at the open closet, now they ran by with their little eyes closed. When they got up in the morning they would slide by with their backs pushed tight on the opposite wall. I'm sorry, I only did it for a couple of days! It was so funny though. I know we will end up on a TV show someday. It will be called Bad Parenting.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Stacy D. Briefing said...

"HaHaHaHa..oh boy oh boy..." As you can tell, we too had one of the S.S. Cookie Monster toys. My boys were scared stiff of it as well! Wouldn't touch it, wouldn't be in the same room with it. I had never thought of using it to my advantage...hmmmmm. Wonder if it's too late now?! ha!

We once had a cake with neon blue icing....rather alarming a couple of days later...made us all walk around bug eyed at the results. And that's all I'm going to say about THAT! Good times!

FishermansDaughter said...

Sometimes you gotta go a little off the beaten path to drive a point home to kids before they can reason it out for themselves, especially in the interest of safety. Using their already existing fear is a stroke of genius - then again - maybe that just means me and mine will be co - starring on your bad parenting reality show! ;)

Anonymous said...

I took a picture of my next door neighbor's Elmo last summer. He got wet, so I put him on the hood of the car to dry out...

Elmo Drying out with a can of Tacate

Auds at Barking Mad said...

That's hilarious...I did that with TMX Elmo because the Little Imp hated that thing with a red hot passion.

I would put him where ever I didn't want her to be. Around the fireplace? No problem, TMX Elmo had it covered. Going up the stairs? Awesome, TMX Elmo is on the job.

*lol*

Oh and that cake...I can only imagine how that red must have stained. Happy Belated Bday Dane!

Anonymous said...

He's lucky. Red food dye gives me the runs. AND makes me really super agitated...

Just what you want when you have to take some cough medicine, which is how I found out about my weird reaction to red dyes...