Monday, March 9, 2009

Update

I have not spoken much about my mom since she has moved in with us. Except to bitch here and there.
So I thought I'd give everyone an update. Mom has been sick pretty much since she arrived. It's Maine in the winter. Coming from Florida, why wouldn't she be sick? She came down with a bad case of shingles a few weeks ago. We got through that okay. Well she did. I just felt sorry for myself.
Last Friday we went to the Endocrinologist (the cancer Dr.) My mom has more lumps. Today we went to see the surgeon who said right up front that it is probably cancer. The Endocrinologist said also he felt is was cancer. Nothing like being up front. So Friday we find out for sure. The upside is her Dr. thinks that there is different chemo crap she can take that won't put her in the hospital. The downside is cancer 3 times in 2 years. WTF?
I am totally freaked out. My eye keeps on twitching because in front of the kids we are all trying to play it cool. At least til Friday. I am frantically working on the girls school stuff and writing down what they need to do so if I'm not home who ever is here can help them out. Other wise they would tell who ever that their work is done and play video games. I don't want to jump the gun but I have no idea how to care for someone who is sick with cancer. I'll do it of course. But I'll have to ask the Dr. a bunch of questions to make sure that I do or get what ever I can before hand so everything will go as smooth as possible.
She is also battling a bad case of Lymphedema in the arm that her Lymph nodes were removed. She has to have testing done on that. If she has cancer again there will be a battery of testing starting ASAP. And I thought I wasn't busy enough.
So I thought that I would post our findings as we go along. I'm sure there will be some laughter. After all what isn't funny about someone who pukes while driving to Augusta. Why did they have to close that damn rest area on the way? I used to be able to make it that far. I can only imagine if they send of to Boston. Think Dumb and Dumber....

4 comments:

Mama Goose said...

Oh Sweetie. I'm so sorry to hear this. I will pray for positive news on Friday. Stay strong.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you as well!!!

FishermansDaughter said...

Sweet Minty Jeesus - so so sorry.

Auds at Barking Mad said...

I'm really sorry to hear this. I will keep your mom, and the rest of you in my prayers and thoughts.

Hang in there Melissa...if you ever need an ear or a shoulder, I'm around! Oh and I don't get carsick! Well, as long as I am the one driving!