Wednesday, April 8, 2009

10 Seconds to bedlam!

Last Saturday morning our local Park and Rec group gave a free breakfast with the Easter Bunny. Since I'm on the board of this group I had to have my fat backside up and over to the town hall at the crack of dawn. I thought I could sneak out the door alone and have Dave bring the kids later but Dane woke up. You know how that goes. Upon getting there, we find out that in the past 48 hours, someone has come in and taken the big griddles and all of the spoons. Go figure. I don't have a really big fry pans and our griddle is built in to the stove. With what we have to use we can make 7 pancakes at a time. I don't panic because we gave out tickets for 60 people. No big deal. Right? Then we find out that another board member dropped 300 fliers off at the local school. Yikes! From then out it was pure chaos.
After that debacle we race home to get ready for a surprise party for my aunt and uncle. They live fifty minutes from my house (on a good day) the party starts at 1pm and it's 11:30. I race into the house issuing orders like a drill Sargent. My mom who was supposed to be ready to go is feeling sorry for herself. Her hair is falling out (she's refusing to shave it and I'm finding the shit everywhere.) she hasn't seen these people in 20 years, (who's fault is that?) the list goes on and on. I tell her, get your ass ready the train leaves in 10 minutes. The girls are fighting and Marian climbs up on a shelf in the hall closet to hide her sisters guitar and the shelf and half the hall closet come tumbling down. My heart is really starting to thump. I decide to take Marian and Dane with me. Chrissy wants to stay with Dave and they are going to Home Cheapo to get stuff to fix the closet. My mom comes downstairs.
We pile into the car and head out. My mom insists that she needs to get my aunt and uncle a gift even though we have a card. We are running out of time. Lei Fung (Dave's GPS) said we'll be there at 1:01. NOW we have to stop. I REALLY hate being late. Especially to a surprise party. Sigh. We stop and get a Yankee Candle and a party bag. Then she makes me go around a drive through to get her a drink. My chest is stating to thump hard again. We get on the interstate and mom looks down and sees that two of the three flowers from the party bag have fallen off. This causes her GREAT distress and I have to find an On the Go gas station for some glue. She wouldn't chew a stick of gum like I suggested and stick them on like that. The station didn't have any glue so I got tape much to mom's disappointment. It did work. We arrived 1 hour and 10 minutes late. It was great to see all of my aunts and uncles and cousins and their families. Some of these people I see every week and some only when someone has a party. I think we should have more parties. We could only stay an hour because my mom suddenly felt ill. On the way home she insisted we pick up Chinese food for dinner. I said I thought you were sick. She then again stated she wanted Chinese food. I stop and get her what she wants. By the time we got home and fed everyone got them bathed it was time for bed. I briefly looked in the hall closet and told Dave it looked great and I fell into bed.
Sunday morning we all got up and went to the 8:30 Church service. Even my mom. I think she only went cause an aunt and uncle who were in town over the weekend would be there. She's only been to Church once since she got here in December. I couldn't even get her to the Christmas Eve service. Dane wouldn't stay in the preschool room and had a huge fit and all I want to do is sit somewhere quiet. After Church we go grocery shopping and we made it home and fed everyone lunch all before 12:30. I unplugged the downstairs phone and shut off the cell phones. We took the kids and the dogs outback and played all afternoon. My mom wasn't pleased with this because I still had dishes in the sink and laundry to do. I told her it was a good thing that this was my house.
There you have it. A typical weekend in the house that's always 10 seconds from bedlam. Stay tuned cause later today I'm posting my conversation with my sister. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Philly said...

I'm exhausted just reading this damn post. Need a nap now

Stacy D. Briefing said...

You're like the energizer bunny...you keep going and going and going...where as I'd have just gone insane. :) Good for you for seizing the fun of the afternoon-housework has a way of waiting for you. :)

FishermansDaughter said...

Holy Christ.

Mama Goose said...

How do you do it woman? My throat is aching just thinking about how much I would have been yelling if I'd been in your shoes...

Auds at Barking Mad said...

I had to take a break just reading this because I almost ran out of breath. Talk about exhausting.

My offer of dinner still stands and Lordy woman, I wish you'd take me up on it!