Monday, May 11, 2009

Saturday my mom and I went flower shopping. I don't want to even talk about the BIG HOLE in our (her) wallets. We did have a great time finding flowers. It is one of the things that she really enjoys. So if she wants to purchase flowers and plant them in my yard I'm not going to complain. Well, not a whole lot. So the pictures that you are looking at are me and my mom making up flower pots. The moron taking the pictures ,that don't include our heads, or only partial heads is my oldest daughter. Kadie, if you read this you must know that your picture taking skills need a bit of help.

I suppose though, in her defence, she is using the NEW CAMERA I got for Mother's Day! It's a Nikon, COOLPIX L100. It seems to be a good camera. I wanted a different one but Dave said I wasn't a professional photographer. I think he looked at the price and thought that's double the mortgage payment. I did try begging but I must be losing my touch cause it didn't budge him a bit. I have not read the manual yet but as I fiddled with it this morning I can see that I'm going to have to.
I have a bit of news to tell all of you wonderful people out there. Saturday, as we were leaving for the Fedco Tree Sale, the phone rings and I answer it, it's my sister. I give the phone to mom and she hangs up after a minute and turns to me and said, "Your sister will be here this afternoon." Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather. (Wow I'm really hanging out with my mom too much, she says weird things like that.) What I should have said is "I almost shit my pants." The visit went quite well, I have a lot to think about. You know when you have so much swirling around in your head that you don't know what's going on and need time to sort it all out? You don't? Hmmmm. Let's just say I need to think about everything she said and how I feel about it. Then I'll tell you. I have not even been able to talk to Dave about it yet. Which is pretty amazing since I normally suck his brain dry.
My mom has done remarkable this time with chemo. At one point I was thinking that she's going to recover. As I sat outside watching Dane on the swing set I wondered what was so different about her. Why now was she seemingly doing so well? Then it hit me. Other than getting two bags of fluids every few days the only thing different is they upped her morphine and she's taking it. So she's taking more morphine than ever and she's taking Lorazapam for nausea. Lorazapam is also an anti-anxiety drug. She takes this every four hours. So I guess what I'm saying is she's not really getting better, she's getting better drugs. I don't know how I feel about that......
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Philly said...

Your flowers look beautiful. It's so nice that your mom enjoys doing that, keep her busy. My Dad used to be able to help around the house, those days are gone.
Be happy about the drugs. Hopefully they make her feel better and she can go on planting !! Send her over my way I haven't even thought about starting.

#1

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Love the flowers!!! The new camera takes great pics too! (Clear,crisp, great color, etc.)

As for your mom and the drugs, well... I always find it best to take one or two and THEN evaluate how you feel about them. :) Just joking! Glad to hear they are helping your mom get back to doing what she loves!

KimberlyDi said...

If she's doing better because of the drugs, then they are doing their job! There's no need for her to suffer nor for you to worry about it. They're doctor-prescribed, not illegal. :)

I would worry alittle too though. :)

Growing flowers can be very rewarding. They are beautiful and they can thrive under your care which is very nuturing. They wouldn't thrive under my care however. NO, I have a black thumb.

Prayers for your mom.

Mama Goose said...

I'm glad you're enjoying some time with your mother. These moments are precious and help make the anxious times a bit easier to handle. What I would give for some extra time with mine...

I hope you're able to work through your issues with your sister. I know it must be tough. Let us know how you make out.

Enjoy your flowers and your new camera! What fun.

FishermansDaughter said...

I laughed out loud at the "You could've knocked me over with a feather/I almost shit my pants." comment. Can't wait for the next installment in the story.
You've unintentionally hit upon one of the absolute banes and plagues of my existence - stink pits! The fact that we can put a man on the moon but can't make a non-toxic deoderant THAT WORKS (baking soda and corn starch can only do so much)has frustrated me for ages - I've tried just about everything out there from home remedies to organics with crap results. I'll give the one you recommend a whirl. *fingers crossed*
As far as the mom on drugs thing goes - lemme tell you something, one cancer daughter to another - drugs are GOOD! Case in point: we couldn't believe how well my Mutha was doing after her double mastectomy - then they took away the morphine pump and it went from remarkable to hell on earth quicker than you can say, "pass the syringe".
Glad things seem to be on an upswing - gorgeous flowers and congrats on the new camera.