Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Return of Concrete Man

Today's post is all about Dave. Or I should say "Concrete Man." When we lived in Florida Dave (we) had a concrete business. I loosely use the term "we". He ate and slept and breathed concrete. He was also very good at it. I used to have a tee shirt that had a picture of a super hero form on it and it said Concrete Man on it. I loved that shirt. I wore it until I out grew it.






Today Concrete Man had the opportunity to pour a garage slab for our neighbor. He had been talking lately of starting up a concrete business again. I thought that if he did this he'd get the feeling out of his system and get back to the real world. But I was wrong.



It started about a month or so ago when our neighbor said he was getting ready to pour his garage. Dave immediately said don't rent anything to do it with I have everything you need. Or something to that effect since I wasn't there. But since that night Dave stated getting out his equipment and cleaning it up and starting the power stuff and all that junk you do to power thingies so that they work.



The thing is, he didn't get it out of his system. The closer to the pour the more his eyes lit up. I saw an excitement that I haven't seen in such a long time. I saw a love.



When we moved to Maine, Dave gave concrete up and went into a totally different line of work. Even back then I wondered how he was going to do it but then I pushed it out of my head because he now had a job where he was home at a decent hour and didn't work weekends. The bad side of it is, he now drives up to 300 miles a day. Yuck.



I really want him to be happy and do something that he loves. Isn't that what every wife wants for her man?





Speaking of men. These are my favorite.



And now a sweet Dave story to make up for the fridge comment that he made.



First let me say (I say that line a lot) We have been under great pressure since my mom moved in. Not just with her moving in and her cancer but also with work. I'm not going to blame the economy but it is what it is. Two weekends ago we had a blow out. You know the kind that you usually have when your first married. Only we still have them 17 years later. It keeps our marriage young. Hee hee. So last week I was trying very hard to put forth a great effort and keep the house picked up and dinner ready when he got home from work. Believe me, it takes a great effort on my part to do that. A two year old and home schooling my kids take up all my time. (Oh and Farm Town too) He was also going above and beyond to make things right between us.



As you know I was sick last week. Thursday night I started puking and it just didn't stop. Friday morning I was supposed to take mom to the cancer center. As I lay on the couch in the early hours of Friday morning wishing I were dead, I opened my eyes to see my husband sitting in a chair watching me. I mumbled," I'm sick." He said," I know baby go back to sleep." So I did.



I woke up again and Dane was sleeping next to me. Everyone was up and running around. Including my mom. I puked and went back to sleep. I woke up again when Dave was shaking my shoulder. I asked him if it was time for me to get up and take mom to the center. He said no, Paula, (who watches the kids and so much more) was going to take her. I was so relieved and I said, "Can you just put a movie in for the kids then." He said they are out in the van, I'm taking them to work with me for the day. I don't remember much after that. (Except for waking up mid morning in a cold sweat because my crops needed to be harvested on farm town in which I called up my girlfriends daughter and had her take care of it for me. I'll have my mansion yet!)


I have more I could write but it just gets kind of mushy. I will say that these are scary times.







Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Stacy D. Briefing said...

What a wonderful husband to take the kiddos on Friday so you could recoup!!! Are you feeling better? I sure hope so!!!

I wish for a triumphant return of the superhero Concrete Man!!! May he have many prosperous jobs, a short commute back and forth and loads of extra time on the weekends to romance the wife! :)

Philly said...

I could really use a concret man. I need my patio around my pool done. From the prices we have gotten, looks like it is gonna wait, unless he does out of town jobs.

#1

FishermansDaughter said...

Great post - taking the kids almost makes up for clean the fridge - and the fact that I think "almost" is probably why after 17 years you're still acting like young marrieds and I'm...not ;)
I can see both sides of the owner/operator coin. Good luck whatever you decide - if I ever hit the lottery you'll be able to send all your kids to college with all the concrete work I need done here on the farm. Are you feeling any better?

Mama Goose said...

Alright, I guess you can let Dave out of the dog house now ; ) Nicely done.

I wish my husband had a passion like Dave's. Sometimes I worry so much about how much he dislikes his job. Life is too short to not be happy doing what you do every day.

Happy Father's Day Dave.

Frank said...

According to Mike Rowe and Dirty Jobs, pouring concrete is tough work. Kudos to Dave :)

Auds at Barking Mad said...

Awwww what a great guy.

And hey, I think you could create an entire series about "Concrete Man"...Seriously!