Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Don't laugh, it's FREE

Do you know what the redneck summer camp is? Vacation Bible School! Or VBS. It's free! Free is good, right? I didn't set out to purposely send my girls out on a merry go round of VBS's. It just sorta happened. Usually we do the one at our church but do to construction we didn't hold it this year. So I sent the kids to the one at my cousins church. It was held from 9 to noon all last week. What a break I got. And with all of the rain it gave them enough to do without over doing it. The best part was my neighbor drove them all but one day!
When some of my friends found out that we were not having VBS at our home church they started offering to take my kids to their VBS's. So this week the girls are doing VBS at night from 6 to 8. But that church is a distance and since my friend is helping out they have to leave at 4:30 and are NOT home until 9. Can you say dinner and a movie? We have to bring Dane with us but that's a small price to pay.
Next week VBS at my step sisters Church is in the morning but so is the one right here in town. What to do?
I guess I'll need to find out what the themes are to make sure they have not already done it.
I feel so cheap. The kids love it! You COULD NOT HAVE DRUG me to one as a child. All that singing. Yuck. They have so many friends that go and this way they get to see kids we don't see very often. For them it entertainment. They sing and get snacks. Play and get rewards. So they have to remember a few Bible Verses. The only draw back is they all have closing programs that parents have to attend. Dave gets out of all the ones during the day time. Lucky duck.
Somehow I know we should not be doing this. Somewhere there is something written about sending your kids to a different VBS a week. Its not a sin though unless I lie and say they have not been to one this summer.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Hey, how many things are free and fun for kids this day and age?! I think you're onto a great idea! Enjoy your free time-it's much deserved!!!

Anonymous said...

The pictures you take are always so cute and always make me smile...

philly said...

When my kids were small, I did all the VBS rounds in my area. Like you said,,,,it's free and they never complained.

#1

Mama Goose said...

This is awesome! The daycare the boys go to is in a church basement (not affiliated) and this week they're holding the VBS upstairs. It looks like so much fun and is a welcome change for the kids. Good stuff.

Audrey at Barking Mad said...

Stacy is right...there's not much out there that's free AND fun for kids nowadays!

Looks like they enjoyed it as much as you enjoyed your mini-breaks.