Friday, July 10, 2009

Foolproof

So when I went to my sister's camp last Saturday she had made a glace pie. It was wonderful. Especially after a bottle of wine. She then told me about how she made the crust with vodka. So I had to try it.
It was an easy recipe. She got hers from Cook's Illustrated.
It's called Foolproof Pie Dough.
Right there I should have known I'd mess something up........
It makes two pie crusts. Two beautiful yummy tasting pie crusts. It went together like a dream. I have never been able to use my rolling pin to lift my pie crust on to the plate. You CAN with this.
See how pretty it is?

So how the hell did I end up with this? I used weights. I cooked it just like I was supposed to. WTF? So I sat at the dining room table and contemplated what had gone so very awry and came up with this.



When I got out my food processor I couldn't find the blade that I needed. So I said does it really matter? And used a different one. Dane was down for a nap and I had a small window of opportunity to get this done. Apparently it did.
After I left it in the fridge for the allotted time I pulled it out to roll it. Because I didn't use the correct blade my ingredients didn't mix together all the way and I had clumps of butter and shortening. So I had to use my hands to blend it and therefore it was over mixed or over kneaded or what ever the correct term is.
Now I know.
I filled the crust anyway with a Triple Berry Glace. I used strawberry, blueberry and blackberry. It was delicious.
Here's the recipe if you want to give it a whirl. You won't be sorry:)
Foolproof Pie Dough
- makes one 9-inch double-crust pie -
The trick to this pie crust is the inclusion of vodka. Eighty-proof vodka, which is 60 percent water and 40 percent alcohol, adds moistness to the dough without aiding in gluten formation since gluten doesn't form in ethanol. Although the recipe includes 8 tablespoons of liquid, the alcohol vaporizes during baking, resulting in a tender crust that only contains 6 1/2 tablespoons of water. Because of the extra liquid, the dough will be moister than most standard pie doughs and will require up to 1/4 cup more flour.
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon table salt 2 tablespoons sugar 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices 1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces 1/4 cup cold vodka 1/4 cup cold water
Procedure
1. Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.
2. Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

5 comments:

Stacy D. Briefing said...

I will have to try this recipe next time I'm in a baking state of mind. Although, I'm not a good chef, so results may vary. :)

Course, I'm for any recipe that includes vodka! LOL!!!

Now if you'll excuse me,perhaps I'll partake of a few oz of vodka over ice with a smidgen of o.j. and go outside in this 103* heat to help "vaporize" the alcohol. ;)


All joking aside, glad you're back. Missed your posts! Hope you're doing well!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, if you didn't DRINK any of the vodka, you wouldn't have this problem !

Mama Goose said...

Yep. Gotta try it.

Frank said...

Mmmm...booze pie. I like the sound of that.

Audrey at Barking Mad said...

"Foolproof" is just an even bigger warning for me to not try it...it never ends well.

However, I'm gonna let Megawatt have a crack at it because she can bake ANYTHING!

And hey, I'm back. Well kind of. Still sorting through stuff from BlogFest and dealing with all the changes. But I'm glad I'm back with my homies!