Thursday, July 2, 2009

Just in case

Just in case, you did not know. This is Poison Ivy.



I did not even know what it looked like. It is all over the river bank behind my house. Previously I had just used my hands to pull it out. I AM a lucky woman. I didn't get (Poison IVIED.) Of course now that I know what the stuff looks like, I won't be a touchin it with a ten foot pole.

Always remember, Leaves of three let it be.

This has been a week from h e double hockey sticks. Mom was admitted into the hospital again Monday afternoon. They pumped 5 bags of fluids in her in under 24 hours. I should of had her in the Dr's. office last week. I just can't keep up.

The only good thing to come out of this is now we have a Health Reach nurse coming to the house. Right now it will only be once a week but as she gets sicker it will be more often. Then when it is too bad Hospice will step in also.

My mom is still in denial. I think her cloud might have burst because I asked a Dr. to have a chat with her about her condition. She honestly didn't believe the liver cancer was worse. Which led to major depression and a nasty argument between me and her right in the hospital room. She thinks we are willing her to die. It really is so sad.

I'm jumping around here because there is so much swimming around in my head.

My mom told the visiting nurse the only thing she wanted was her own place. So she could have her dignity back and feel useful. The nurse pulled me aside and said let her. She said if she lives alone the nurses and helpers will just come more often. She did say I hope you have family to help you because if not, don't let her move too far away because you'll be going to her place every day. Sigh. If this is what she really wants, and I know she does, Dave and I will help her.

You know, when you think of taking care of your parents, you think it will be when you are in your sixties or seventies. Not forty. As I have cried for myself, I have had more than a few of my friends email and tell me how much they miss their moms. These ladies were in their twenties when they lost their moms. I can't even imagine. Not for one second.

We go next Friday to see her doctor again and he knows he needs to really speak with me and my mom. We need facts.

Also we were supposed to go away this weekend. We haven't been away in a long time but because of the latest drama we had to cancel. My sister is in town and has spent a lot of time with my mom. We have also had some really nice talks. It truly is funny that growing up in the same house everyone can have different ideas about what went down.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Frank said...

I'm sorry about your mom. Be strong and give her all the love and support she needs.

Mama Goose said...

I'm sending you strength and peace.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Thanks for the P.I info. That will always stick in my head now "in 3's let it be." :)

Glad you are getting some help, even if it is just one day a week for now. I'm sure it will help alot!!! Hope the upcoming doctor talk answers all the ques.

Wishing you a peaceful 4th weekend. Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Philly said...

Very sorry about your Mom but thankful you have a least a little help the the health care if only once a week.
Let her move, if that is what she wants. Give her a little freedom. My Dad is loving his new assisted living. His whole personality has changed and he seems to like me again,,,LOL.

Good luck
#1

FishermansDaughter said...

In the name of Sweet Minty JEEE-sus just looking at the plant makes me ITCH!!! I can't believe you actually touched that stuff ON PURPOSE and didn't get hit.
So sorry to hear about your mom. For what it's worth, I'd go with what the nurse advised on changing her living situation - nurses have tons of experience in everything relating to dealing with sick.
Bummer about having to cancel the trip - don't forget to reschedule - if anyone deserves adult alone time it's you two.

Wendy said...

So sorry about your mom. You sound like such a devoted daughter. Good for you! My thoughts are with you.

Auds at Barking Mad said...

I'm forever getting Poison Ivy and Poison Oak confused. Thanks for the heads up tutorial.

I'm glad you're getting some help with your mom and hope that despite whatever news comes down the road, you take advantage of that help...including the offer from the little ol' fat lady in the midcoast area. Even if it's letting me take you out for a cup of coffee and something sinfully sweet...SAY YES! *lol*

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.