Sunday, July 5, 2009

On the way to the parade

We had a great Forth of July! But before I can tell you all the details I have to tell you about getting to the first parade we went to.
Every year we go to the parade in Winslow, Maine. It is the biggest parade on July 4Th in the state of Maine. Parking is always a nightmare and it is always hot and sticky. It's one of those things that if you forget to bring water you have to pay three bucks for a bottle. Been there and done that.
Below is a picture of Two Cent Bridge. We park in Waterville and walk across it to get to Winslow. It was built in 1903 for factory workers to get back and forth to work since most people did not have cars and there wasn't a bridge to get across the river if you had one. (How many factory workers had cars at that time?) An interesting side note that has nothing to do with this.... Up until the late sixties (I was told) there were still businesses that had places for folks to tie their horses to. Some people still used the horse as primary transportation.

This bridge is the scariest bridge I have ever walked across. I've driven over a few scary bridges. (The one in Tampa) (The one here in Maine on the coast) I really do not like bridges. As a child I used to hide on the floor with a blanket over my head as we went over one and sometimes I would worry myself about an upcoming trip that I knew would involve a bridge crossing and I would puke. I had issues even then.

It is a long ass way down to the ground.

It spans across the river five hundred feet. FIVE HUNDRED FEET of cables holding the bridge up that we are waking across! The closer to the center the more the damn thing sways and you kind of stumble around. Not a place to let your two year old run free.

These cable are holding the bridge up. What if they snapped? What would happen to us?

Last year we walked across the bridge and I swear five hundred other people were doing it at the same time. So this year when we knew the parade was almost finished Marian jumped up and said, "Let's go now so we don't have to go across the bridge with anyone else!" We all took off without any hesitation. There was only eight other people on the bridge when we crossed it but when we got to the car and looked back, the bridge was so packed with people (Like cow going to slaughter) you couldn't even see the boards on the bridge that you walk on. We all high fived Marian.

Maybe next year we'll skip this parade.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Mama Goose said...

Holy crap. There's NO way I would make it across that thing. I'd have to hurl myself over the edge and put myself out of my misery. But then again, I might NOT die. So nope. Ain't gonna do it.

Glad you had a nice weekend!

Auds at Barking Mad said...

I HATE BRIDGES. All of them.

I got a little woozy reading your post and just THINKING about going over something like that on foot. Oiy!

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Too many issues rearing their ugly heads at once-motion sickness, fear of heights, fear of bridges...ugh! I couldn't handle the bridge. You are a brave one!!! Hope your 4th was great!!!

carsick said...

I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one with bridge fears!
The only other worse thing I've done is go in Mammoth Cave in Kentucky with an infant in my arms. Down a mile plus on rock stairs about 2 feet wide. It still makes my hair stand on end....

KimberlyDi said...

I always imagine the worst going over bridges. I even hate simple city bridges when you are stuck on one during a red light. They sway and bounce from other vehicles.

Frank said...

Whoa, that bridge is awesome. I'd be one of those people moving around in the middle to MAKE it shake and swing around, 'cause I'm a jerk sometimes.

Kelly said...

I have no bridge fears myself, but I would probably grip Violet a bit too tight on the way across.

FishermansDaughter said...

I had a bridge phobia for years - until I had kids - then *POOF* gone.
Weird.
At least it wasn't hell hot and sticky this year on the 4th - my word is HIGULG
a hiccup with a speech impediment?