Monday, August 31, 2009

Field Trip Friday

Since I turned last Friday into Field Trip Friday I thought I'd tell you a bit about it.

First let me tell you that I didn't make it out of Kennebec County without getting sick. I also puked in the counties of Somerset and Oxford. My family was really thrilled with me. Thank goodness for Hannaford bathrooms and roads with many trees to puke behind.
I personally blame Mimi for my getting sick. Oh, and unexpected company. Thursday night when I should have got all of our stuff together we had someone show up and I didn't do what I should have. It happens. I wasn't worried I thought I'd just wing it like everything else in my life.
But, I should have made the tuna fish Thursday before bed. You see, Mimi will ONLY eat a tuna sandwich. No PB &J's. So when we all woke up late Friday morning I gulped down two cups of coffee with my Dramamine while making and gagging over tuna fish. I did not eat any breakfast. Which may or may not have been a blessing. Needless to say Dave still loves me but does not want to travel anywhere with me ever again. He says this repeatedly but he forgets what a pain in the ass I am to travel with and over time (kinda like childbirth) thinks I won't mess up every ones good time. I fooled him though didn't I? I was a real mood killer.
When we got to Newry I had a chance to sleep for a few minutes while Dave went to work and believe it or not I felt better. Not a hundred percent, but better. When he was finished we went to our first stop, Sunday River Bridge. Built in the Early 1800s this bridge is also known as Artist's Bridge because so many have painted and photographed it. I enjoyed seeing it as it had wonderful views of the river and the woodwork was great (blah, blah, blah) but the beams sway when you walk across it. Kind of like being on a boat but not as bad and I thought I was going to toss my Triscuits. There is a trail so that you can follow the river that was really nice and even Dane could walk it without tripping.

Our next stop was Screw Auger Falls in Grafton State Park. Since Thursday upon finding out this is where I wanted us to go I walked around mumbling screw you. I don't know how my mind works. This is a great place to go. Though I was worried a few different times that if I didn't keep a tight rein on Dane we'd lose him over the edge of the notch. It was really interesting and they have many signs telling about the formation of the falls. So I didn't have to be the teacher all I had to do is direct everyone to read the signs as we approached them.

It was cool out so I didn't think to include bathing suits but I should have. There were a dozen different places to wade in the water. We had a lot of fun exploring.

They have a wonderful picnic area where we ate our lunch and played in the water. It wasn't crowded because of the time of the year but I'm sure it probably is packed in July.

After all the puking and the crap my family went through with me, guess what I ate for lunch? Yup, that's right, tuna fish:)

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Wow, Maine is really beautiful!!! Glad you had a good field trip....sorry the road trip part wasn't a pleasant experience for you. :(

FishermansDaughter said...

Gorgeous pics - glad you were able to recover enough to get some enjoyment out of the trip. Looks like it was a beautiful day.
Useless FD fact number 101: put me anywhere near an opened can of tuna and I turn into you on a car trip. BLERG!
My word is essel

Mama Goose said...

Looks like a great day! I mean, aside from all the throwing up!!

Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

Aside from the vomit-fest it looks like you had a rollicking good time. I've always wanted to use that word, "Rollicking"...now if I only knew how the hell to spell it.

Beautiful pics. And now I have one more place to explore around here.

sherpamom said...

Hey, that's my country you're in! Love the covered bridge but if you keep on that road another3 miles or so, you'll find a great swiming hole - shallow sandbars for the little ones, but deep and cold for bigger kids! (Not that you want to drive to Western Maine again anytime soon!)