Monday, September 14, 2009

Labor Day Fun

Labor Day rolled around and Dave and I just wanted to crawl in bed and ignore the outside world. Sadly, once you have children you can never do that again. Chrissy decided that we should have a bonfire eat out back. So Marian and I went to moms and to the grocery and when we got home, Dave, Chrissy and Dane had a nice fire going. The kids drove around on the mower. At one point all three were on the darn thing. I don't have any pictures of that because I was too busy praying. The girls called some friends over to eat with them and pretty soon we had five little girls running around. I didn't post any pictures of them either as I'm not sure how their parents would feel about me posting pictures of their babies for the wide world of the Internet to see. I also used a collage because I can only post four pictures at a time with Blogger. Does everyone have that problem? Or is it that I don't know what I'm doing?

Then as night really started to roll around, and it was such a beautiful evening, it was perfect I tell ya, I asked the girls if they wanted to sleep outside by the fire. There wasn't a no in the house. (so to speak) The girls were running around squealing trying to get their stuff together when Chrissy pulls a sad face and said, "But wait, we have school tomorrow!" To that I replied,"School schmool, we're home schooled!" Mom was number one that night I tell ya. Not so much the next morning when we had to actually had to do our school work.

We decided to take the seats out of the van and put an air mattress in the back of it. as you can see Dane made himself right at home.

We then made s'mores and ate them til our tummies were stuffed and marshmallowy feeling. We had to really watch Dane. He'd stick his marshmallow in the fire and when it lit on fire he'd pull the stick out and proceed to fling the flaming marshmallow in one of our directions. Sometimes I wonder how we haven't lost, maimed or accidentally had one of our children killed.
When it was time to settle down, as you can see by all the blur, that was a monumental feat, Dave sat by the fire and started to read to us The Hobbitt. I read chapter books out load to the kids all the time. Sometimes with school books that we have to read are kind of boring and if I read them to the kids they pay attention more. I also like to act out parts as we go along. Sometimes we don't get any other schoolwork done because we are having too much fun acting out scenes from a book to show Dave when he gets home. Anyway back to what I was saying, Dave was reading and if you know the Hobbit you know all the name are strange and long. I do not want to read any part of this book aloud. Dave on the other hand has a wonderful reading voice and as he read we all drifted in an out of consciousness. I could have listened to him read forever.
After he finished reading we banked the fire and he and Dane went up to the house for the night. We had the back end of the van open and backed up by the fire. The girls and I lay on our stomach's and watched the flame dance around. Soon both girls were fast asleep and Dave was calling me asking how it was going. Great, I whispered what is it? Eight forty five he said. What!? That's it!? I fell asleep too, shortly after that while watching the fire and the moon. It was such a peaceful night. Dave said he kept coming out back to check on us and we were all out like a light. I woke up at two thirty and couldn't get back to sleep. At three, both girls woke up and had to pee so I called it a night and drove us back up to the house and we all grabbed a couch and went back to sleep.

7 comments:

KimberlyDi said...

Sounds wonderful. You are more daring that I am. :)

carsick said...

We really did have an awesome time.
I'm not daring at all. It took everything I had to do this. We weren't that far from the house. I wouldn't have done it if we were down by the river. I don't even go in the barn at night:)

FishermansDaughter said...

Good on you for overcoming your fears and making a totally MADE. OF. AWESOME. memory for your kids and their friends.

My word is:
nopapi

which when you think of it is HILARIOUS considering my situation

Mama Goose said...

Perfectly lovely.

Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

That sounds like an AWESOME kind of night.

That's the kind of night that your kids will cherish forever.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Those are the kind of memories your kiddos will cherish forever. You rock!!! :)

Frank said...

I miss being outdoors :(

Haven't gone camping in almost two years...