Saturday, September 19, 2009

Strange Few Days

What I neglected to tell you during the wee hours of Friday morning is that Thursday afternoon I dropped my moms dog off to be put to sleep. The fun never ends around here! We also decided (my sister and I) that instead of burying the dog we would have her cremated. Then when we scatter my moms ashes we can scatter her dogs with her. I have to tell you, though it was sad, I was so relieved.



Friday morning my mom woke and was out of it. I tried to talk to her and she couldn't put any sentences together. She would try to stand to go to the bathroom but could not. It was ugly. As she sat on the side of her bed, her body shaking, I thought , "Oh Lordy, is this it?" I have to say I was having a hard time keeping it together. I looked at the clock and knew that "Berta" would be either at the office or with another patient. I ran to get the phone to call her and as I picked it up it rang and was Berta. I don't remember much except for crying. The next thing I knew, we had ten people in moms apartment. The HealthReach office is in my moms building so everyone that has worked with my mom came running upstairs. They really they took the elevator.

My moms blood pressure was 190 and her oxygen was bad. She didn't know anyone. The social workers kept asking me when my sister was coming. I kept saying the end of the month and they would say no, when is she coming. I was like, do you mean I should call and tell her to come? No one told me no. The people came with the hospital bed for my mom and the social workers told me I should move mom back to my house. AGH! What a morning! During all of this the kids were trying to do their school work. After awhile they just stopped and stared at the ensuing mayhem. Every time we turned around the door needed to be opened or the phone was ringing. Dane was so upset that he peed his pants and it filled both of his shoes. I couldn't get a hold of Dave, cause you know someone has to work. My mom would get upset because she wanted her bed back, it was a real trip.

I finally talked to my sister and told her what was happening and we both cried. I cried for mom and I think my sister cried for me. Dave finished work went home and got the truck and came and took the bed away so my mom wouldn't have to see it anymore. It was so I don't even know how to explain it. Pretty much what it came down to was them explaining to me how to use the Care Pack and that the couple of months that the doctor said on Tuesday wasn't gonna wait.

At three my mom got out of bed sane as could be and told me she was going to take a shower. What the fuck? Four hours before we thought she'd never get out of bed again and now she's taking a shower. After that I fed her Haagen Daz ice cream. She didn't remember anything about what happened earlier in the day. Oh I tried to tell her she had to go back in bed that she shouldn't walk to the shower and she grabbed my arm and told me to get the Hell out of her way. Then she proceeded to tell me how she fell Wednesday night (Which she had thought she'd kept a secret from me) while Kadie was watching her. The whole time I'm flabbergasted.

This evening my mom asked me to cook her steak. She said, I want steak and not a cheap one either. I'm hungry.

My life is weird.

12 comments:

Mama Goose said...

When my mother was dying, my sister was there for her and I was here. I still feel awful that I couldn't help more - and even guiltier that I wasn't there to experience the hell my sister did. You sharing this with us makes me love her more - if that's even possible.

Sending you love and peace.

Philly said...

Make sure you have some alcohol with that steak !!

FishermansDaughter said...

I never remember my Pop Pop being well. He was rendered speechless and virtually immobile by a series of strokes (due to a lifetime of smokin and boozin)over the course of 10 years.
For the last year of his life he was hospitalized, bedridden and in and out of a coma. The family took turns visiting/ sitting vigil. The night before he died, out of the blue, he sat up in his bed, as if he was waking from a nap, and had a completely lucid hours long conversation with my Aunt (his youngest daughter). This was a guy who couldn't TALK or walk for close to 10 years and had been in a coma for weeks. I always wished I could've been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

My word is exion

a club for excommunicated ions

Stacy D. Briefing said...

My word is "unfrim"... I'm thinking it stands for "Un-friggin'-imaginable!"...which I guess would describe your weekend perfectly huh?

I'm also thinking, wouldn't it be nice if they made up "care packs for caregivers" as well?! Filled with usefull things like antacids for when you think your gonna hurl, aspirin for the stress headaches, loads of alcohol and a free nights stay at a hotel for when you just need an escape from reality for a bit. It really is called for I think!

Hang in there!! Meanwhile, just hang a sign saying "Welcome to Casa De Crazy. :)

Frank said...

This post put tears in my eyes :(

FishermansDaughter said...

Checkin in - thinking of you.

Mama Goose said...

Me too...

KimberlyDi said...

Things must be bad because you've been silent. HUGS!!!

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Thinking of you...

KimberlyDi said...

I'm getting real worried. How are things?

FishermansDaughter said...

I know you'll write when you can - no pressure - just want you to know I'm thinking about you.

Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

Where did my earlier comment go?

Hope you're doing ok. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.