Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Mimi


My girl turned nine this week! I can't believe it. Time just keeps marching on.
I remember the day she was born like it was yesterday.
Once again I had to be induced because I made it so nice inside of me that babies just wanted to stay. Maybe they knew that once they were born what was waiting for them.
Anyway, Marian was born at 10:56am. after being in labor fortyfive minutes.Not too shabby. She was the spindliest baby I had ever seen. Is that a word? She was all arms, legs, fingers, and toes! I remember not wanting to put her down or let the nurses take her because I thought they would hurt her if they were not extra careful. I told them that too.
Marian didn't have to be born on that day. I had a choice. I could have waited until the following Monday but my brother in law was coming in town. I wanted to wait until Monday to have her because I didn't want to miss anything. Let's face it. I knew if I had the baby before he came, I wouldn't be able to go to dinner with everyone. I'd have to stay home. Yes, that's what goes through a pregnant womans mind. FOOD!
Then my lovely brother in law mentioned that it wiuld be nice if I had the baby while he was in town so he could actualy see the baby. He did have a point and I was sick of being knocked up.
The real fun began after we got home from the hospital. This was baby number three and Chrissy was only two. Kadie was already 13 and in school all the time. I thought I was doing great until the neighbors came.
As they all stood around my baby, making the approiate noises, one gal had the nerve to say how did you come up with her name? I tell ya, I was a deer caught in the headlights! I just shrugged my shoulders and said it was a family name. The truth was, I couldn't remember her name.
How does something like this happen? A mother who can't remember her babies name! I would call Dave and wait for him to ask how the baby was doing and pray he'd ask how she was by name. Then I'd think okay, it's Marian. I won't forget that but later that same day at the park I told three different sets of people her name was Mable.That got back to my husband in a big hurry. I won't even go into that conversation but I was happy he finally knew my secret. After that, he made a list of all the kids names, birthdates and birth weights just in case I couldn't remember. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Then again I couldn't even remember her name. This went on for about six weeks and one day I was back to normal again.
So Happy Birthday my little Mimi, Marian, Mable, Baby Moo Moo, Baby Schlow Mo and every other name we call you by. You are my favorite nine year old in the world! And the most beautiful and the kindest, blah, blah blah........I love you.

4 comments:

FishermansDaughter said...

This had me on the floor laughing, not because I didn't think it was true, but because I'm sure it is. More love for being honest about it. So many people just don't get what happens to some (they say) "special" (I say) "chosen" women (like us) after the birth of a child. Right after Biggs was born, he was so gorgeous I thought the nurses were hatching a plot to steal him, sell him on the black market and split the money.

Good times.

FFWD 12 years and I still worry about shite like that so I haven't changed much.

Happy Birthday to ole what's her name!

My word is

oelyt

oil light?

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday dear...
Dear....
Oh dear,.. what IS her name???

Just joking. :) Happy Birthday Beautiful Mimi!!! Hope 9 is your best, most wonderful year yet!!!

P.S. Your Momma really makes me laugh! :)

Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

That's hilarious!

Happy Happy Happy birthday Mimi! May it be as sweet as you and wonderful and funny as your mama is!

Mama Goose said...

Snort! I had baby brain for about three months after BOTH boys. Couldn't remember anything.

Happy belated birthday to you both!!