Thursday, November 12, 2009

B is for Booger, That's good enough to eat........

It's StoryTime!!!!!!!

Some people have already heard this story but I believe it should be told again. Why, because everytime I tell it makes me laugh so hard I feel like I'm going to pee. Not that I like that feeling but I do like to laugh.

Our youngest daughter was about three. She had a bad cold and thick green snot pouring from both sides of her nose. It was gross, I remember it like yesterday. Well she kept digging at her nose and then her hand would wipe across her mouth. That's the way it is with kids. They are gross. They are dirty and you would do anything for them not to be sick.
I also worried that if she picked her nose and rubbed her eyes she'd get the dreaded pink eye. If you get pink eye in this house, mom and dad pay a babysitter big bucks and they go stay in a hotel until it's past. (To this day when Kadie rubs her eyes Dave and I cringe.

Getting on with this, I would never call myself a bad mother, I don't believe I am. What I am is questionable.
Marian had boogers, I may or may not have seen one go in her mouth. I plead the fifth. It was a long time ago. So I grabbed her little hand and as I washed it and sang the ABC's I explained to her that if she ate a booger her tongue would turn black and rot off. If you recall, I'm the mom who placed Tickle Me Elmo and Billy The Marlin in places that I didn't want the kids because they were scared of them. Now I never gave it another thought. Not once, not ever.
Fast forward to now. My recently turned nine year old has a bad cold. Her nose is runny and crap is draining down the back of her throat. She has been walking around for days with a hand held mirror. I didn't know why. Two nights ago Chrissy comes to me and says, please tell Mimi that it's not true. I say what's not true? She says that your tongue won't rot and fall off if you eat boogers. What I say? Then I remember. I can't believe that she even remebers this. So I'm like Mimi, what are you talking about?
Mimi: Remember, you told me my tongue would turn black and rot.
Me: I said that when you were three.
Mimi: (very angry) Why would you say that?
Me: Because I didn't want you to eat boogers.
Mimi: No, mom why would you say something so mean. All this time I thought that was true.
Me: I can't contain myself. I'm laughing and can't even talk. The look she's giving me is one of a kind.
Chrissy then piped in to say, "She's been carring that mirror around all week checking to see if her throat is turning black cause the snot is running down it."
Oh my Gosh! I laughed until I cried and then called Dave so we could both laugh and Mimi went to her room and slammed thr door. Now that's why you have kids!

3 comments:

Stacy D. Briefing said...

The hand mirror, the scathing look, the door slam-hysterical story!!!

Here's a ditty our favorite uncle taught us when we were kids and had a cold...

You go to the movies with your honey.
And your nose is kinda runny.
People think it's funny...
But it's snot.

Used to crack us up...obviously we didn't get out much. LOL!

Susan Vaughn said...

Well, I don't know if that is why we had kids, but the snot part really brings back memories. Yuk. You poor thing.

Susan
Over at "RaisinToast"

FishermansDaughter said...

*trying not to wipe my eyes of tears from laughing and failing* Yet another childhood myth destroyed. Your little girl is growing up.

My word is singarfl

when your singar is full