Monday, March 29, 2010

Rain Rain Go Away

A few weeks ago I took theses pictures of the river behind or house. We still had some snow on the ground. It's very peaceful to sit and watch and listen to the water as its going by. Not this day though. I had Dane with me. When Dane is with you you spend your time with one hand on his person at all times. He's very slippery. The water is very cold and I don't want to go in after him. As a matter of fact we don't take him to the river very often and when we do we tell him awful things about it. To try to scare him so if he gets loose hopefully he won't head in the direction of the river. This day he is throwing sticks in the water and I have one hand clutched to his hood and the other is clutching my camera.
I'm standing at the top of the bank. I can't go down the path because it's muddy. The one good thing I notice is the water is calm right around the edge. Which means if Dane goes in, I can grab him before he gets too far. Yesterday afternoon I was back by the water and there was no way I was letting him even close. The whole river looked like one big rapid. Of course I didn't have my camera. (I was supposed to being stacking wood and Dave doesn't think its productive to stack wood with a camera wrapped around my neck)
Anyway the water is over halfway up the bank. No place to really sit down and enjoy myself. I think this summer we are going to put a picnic table in and maybe a barbecue grill. That way it looks and feels like we went somewhere without leaving the yard. I have MUCH work to do in order to do that and I'm anxious to get started. If it would just stop raining. And warm up a little.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Isn't it amazing how something as beautiful and peaceful as going to the lake takes on a whole new meaning when you take a little one with you?! I can't count the number of hours I have had to hold onto the backs of shirts, tops of hoods, hands, legs, etc. to keep my youngest from falling in! :)

FishermansDaughter said...

I hear ya sister on all fronts - almost didn't buy the house we call home because Biggs was 2 and it had a built in pool. My family still calls me "The Lock Nazi" because I went totally mental insisting all doors were locked 24/7. It's habit now, even though the kids are older.
I'm also feelin ya about enough already with the rain. Supposed to pour through Wednesday. One down, two to go.