Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Party Time

Chrissy's party was a success. Just a few glitches in the system but we recovered from them quickly.
Our first and only really bad one was the day she took the invitations to school to pass out. She had plans to invite the entire sixth grade. Which would be about fifty kids. Give or take. She passed out invitations to everyone in her class but gave the other stack to her friend in the other class to pass out.
This young lady decided to only give invitations to kids she felt should come. So she only gave them to eight kids. We found out on Field Day that this had happened. When a friend of mine asked me why her kid didn't get invited. He was already invited but what she was politely trying to tell me is not everyone got an invite. Chrissy and I had to scramble for phone numbers and did some serious door knocking for the next twenty four hours. Have I told you I HATE clicks? With a passion.
We did what we could and in the end we had about twenty five boys and girls show up.


They sang and danced. They ate and drank. Boy could they waste soda. We put the bon fire out with all the left over drinks we gathered at the end of the evening. I had to keep saying to myself, all that matters is they had a good time. It's only money.
They played wiffle ball and let me tell you, I was glad I didn't play. They sure took that game seriously.
And last but not least, the squirt guns and water balloons. We filled four hundred up before everyone got to our house and another hundred after. The boys, ahem, young men brought squirt guns with them. No one was safe! Not even the lady with the camera or the guy cooking all the food. Something about water balloons. It's like an Easter Egg hunt. Way too much time filling up eggs and balloons and its all done in three minutes and someone is always left crying because they didn't get candy. In this case because they got soaked. These two girls took down a boy and stole his squirt gun. It was ugly, I think they should both go into special forces.
Dave and I had a good time to. I walked around greeting kids and parents and keeping semi order and Dave cooked and cleaned and lugged stuff back and forth. He also shopped for the entire thing (well I got the water balloons) while I cleaned house on Saturday. The forecast was calling for rain and I was trying make the house kid proof in case we had to do this thing inside. I don't know why I bothered. Even though the night was perfect the kids came in to fill balloons and guns and I had an inch of water on my kitchen floor. But I digress. I hope Chrissy realizes what her dad did for her someday. Dave did get some time in for wiffle ball and he did pelt me with a few water balloons in which I screamed like a girl.
All in all it was a great night and I hope our girl remembers it forever. Oh, and afterword, fourteen girls spent the night.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

FishermansDaughter said...

"I'll have what she's having." Where on earth do you get the ENERGY? *bowing to your superior parenting* I hope Chrissy realizes just how lucky she is to have BOTH of you. You. ROCK.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

What an amazing party! I know she will remember forever! You and Dave rock as chaperones and as party planners!!! Also, 14 girls spending the night- HAVE MERCY!!!I bet it was non stop screaming and giggles til morning.

KimberlyDi said...

It sounds wonderful! You both are cool parents.

Mama Goose said...

You guys are wonderful parents. You KNOW this memory is going to last a lifetime.