Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Story of Steve

Do you believe in ghosts? Aberrations or spirits? Do you believe in things that go bump in the night?
I don't know what I believe as I can only speak of what I know or may or may not have seen.

When we moved into our house eight years ago I briefly wondered if this old house had ghosts swirling around in it but quickly put the thoughts to rest as I have such an overactive imagination that I wouldn't sleep otherwise.

Then it started happening. Mimi waking up all hours of the night screaming. When we would run to her (she sounded like she was being murdered) she would clutch us and point to various parts of their room screaming, "There he is!" Over and over again until we could calm her down to go to sleep. This went on at least three to four times a week. After the first few times Dave wouldn't even get up. It annoyed him. Nobody was there. He claimed I just let her watch a bad episode of Teletubbies or something. Or I let her eat too much junk and now we were all paying for it.

After three months of me dealing with her nightly screaming I was terrified. I thought she was going crazy or maybe I was. So I called the pediatrician and hauled her in. The verdict, Night Terrors. Some kids get them he said. It could last a year or more. They might go away and come back up through puberty. All I could think about was if I was ever going to get a night's sleep again. So home we went and I started making sure Mimi wasn't watching too much television or eating any junk food just to see if if helped. It didn't. Summer turned into fall and then winter was here and sometimes every night for nights on end she'd scream half the night away. Sometimes she'd go a week and we'd have a reprieve. Almost lulling us to believe it may finally be over. To this day, it hasn't gone away.

I went to bed one evening early. I think it was in early fall. I wanted to watch a TV program that Dave didn't so I thought I would watch it in our room. I quickly felt tired and shut the TV off early and drifted off to sleep. Awhile later I awoke when Dave came up to bed. As I opened my eyes to say something to my husband there beside him stood a man. A man that was very thin and tall, taller than Dave. He had thin gray or maybe white hair combed to the side. He wore roundish glasses and had on a sweater vest. In his hand he held a cigar or maybe a pipe. I remember how long and thin his fingers were. He just looked at me.
I quickly sat up and screamed,"Who are you?" "What do you want?!" "Go away! You don't belong here!" Then I lay back down and rolled over on my side to go to sleep. I remember it perfectly. Dave climbed into bed without saying a word. Nope, not one word. After a few minutes he put his arm around me and pulled me close and whispered in my ear,"What the hell was that?" I said I had no idea and went to sleep.

Of course the next morning it was all Dave could talk about. I kept telling him that I didn't know what I saw. I said maybe I was dreaming but he kept laughing at me and saying how could that be, you were awake. It was definitely weird. Weird Weird Weird

Kadie woke up not long after us and we started to tell her about our evening and before I could describe what the man looked like she described him to us. You can just imagine how weirded out we were. She said she had seen him in her room several times but she thought we'd think she was lying so she didn't tell me. I wouldn't have either. Kadie thought we should name him Steve. So the story of
Steve was born.

To this day I don't know what I saw or if I believe what I saw. I know that sometimes the cats will go in a room and run around it meowing like crazy and hissing at nothing. I know that sometimes when Mimi wakes up screaming I get sort of nervous. But that's it. Thats as far as its gone. Until Chrissy and Mimi started telling the Story of Steve to their friends. Which is why I'm telling you the Story of Steve. Because I have another story to tell you.
To be cont.........

5 comments:

Mama Goose said...

Oh shit. I'm never sleeping again. Thanks.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

With glasses, pipe and a sweater vest, I'm assuming that Steve is the friendly sort of spirit...???
Can't wait to hear how the story continues!

KimberlyDi said...

Wow. Freaky. I hope Steve is friendly. :) I've been away from commenting for awhile because i couldn't see the word verification again. It's back now though and so am i.

FishermansDaughter said...

At least he sounds friendly - I can't wait to read the rest of it!

Aion said...

I wish that it wasn't such an automatic reaction to freak-out.

The most recent was a couple weeks ago. I was up all night again, because I don't sleep well. Standing in the kitchen I felt like I was being watched. I thought it was the other half got up in the middle of the night. But when I turned, I knew it wasn't, and quickly turned back.

I sighed, and groaned :

"I'm really not in the mood tonight, sorry."

He ( I don't know how I know it was a "he") just stood there.

"That means come back some OTHER time !"

The next morning the other half says I heard you on the phone early this morning. I said, no, I was talking to someone standing in the kitchen.

The other half says "Uhhh... Ahh, OK."

For months after mom passed away I was angry with her for not popping by and saying hello.