Sunday, September 26, 2010

The End is in Sight

Sorry that it's been awhile since I posted. (I know your dying to hear about our roofing project) It's been a crazy week. Last Sunday night after dinner my handsome husband and I went for a walk. We had to decided what to do about the roof. Do we suck it up and go on? Do we put ourselves through that stress and struggle? Do we give up and hire someone? If we do than that means we won't be able to put in a driveway. Which we desperately need. Being a grownup stinks. We ended up hiring someone to come and finish the roofing. We were very lucky because the roofer took pity on us (not really though because he charged us up the ying yang) and started work Tuesday morning. He and another guy worked all week and finished up on Friday afternoon.
What wasn't in their job to do was clean up. Clean has been kicking my fat flippin arse. Picking up nails has been a number one priority. A big magnet helps. We don't want any flat tires.
Isn't it just a mess? We pick the shingles up and throw them in the bucket of the front end loader until it's full then I drive the FEL over to the trailer and dump it.
Yesterday when the trailer was full my love and I took it to the dump where we proceeded to through off two and a half tons of shingles into the giant compacter. It took us over an hour and my back my never be the same. We still aren't finished but hopefully by the time the dumps opens up on Wednesday I'll have another load ready to go. I can't say I'm looking forward to it.
In other things happening around here: It's been a sad week. My sister called and definitely leaves for Afghanistan the first of the year and my sister in laws brother died suddenly. We are four days and counting down the one year death of my mom and the pain in my chest keeps squeezing around my heart. I plan on working myself to death this week so I hopefully won't dwell on it.
I'll have pictures of the roof posted tomorrow. I hope:)

2 comments:

FishermansDaughter said...

Holy shizzle. Hope Dave feels better soon. Roofing is one job that def. needs to be for the pros. I had mine done a couple years ago and am STILL finding nails in the yard...beats the junk out of a leaky roof though.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Giving up a driveway to keep your husband safe and get the roofing project completed sounds like a pretty good trade off! :) Can't wait to see the finished product!