Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Thumb My Nose at the Law

Friday morning the big orange store delivered our shingles so we could start the process of re roofing the house. (They are still sitting where they were dropped off) Since our excitement was high we decided to take Kadie's car to the junkyard. POS (piece of shit) was a 1999 Ford Taurus that Kadie picked up a few years ago for $600 bucks. We immediately named it POS and the ghetto cruzer.

My mom purchased Kadie a newer car before she passed away (we are coming up on a year on the 30Th of the month and I'm a wreck btw) so said POS has been parked in the backyard ever since. It had been driving me crazy seeing it sitting in amongst the weeds. So Friday morning Dave asked me if we wanted to junk it today and I squealed YES YES YES! The thing was though, the car has no insurance, no inspection and no plates. I told Dave I'd drive the POS to the junkyard because I didn't care. I thumb my nose at the law! I'm a rebel! (Who really needs a cause) I did make a dash to the Town hall to see if I could get a temporary plate for the day and found I could not. So I was back to thumbing my nose.
Dave drove in front of me and I followed him quite close so we wouldn't draw attention to the car having no plates. We made it to the interstate okay. Once we got on though was another story. As I pulled on there was quite a bit of traffic. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the people passing me on the left staring at me and shaking their heads. I could feel the sweat start to run down the back of my neck. I decided to play it cool and pasted a big smile on my face and act like I was out for a Sunday drive. La la la la la. I could feel my shirt sticking to my armpits so I started to flap my elbows up and down like a chicken. I finally made to the exit but still had ten miles to go. Everywhere I drove people were staring at me at shaking their heads. I started to prepare my speech that I was going to give the cop that pulled me over. Should I go with innocent act? Should I act offended that he pulled me over? Should I tell him to just give me the damn ticket and get out of my face? Whew I could see the end was nearing. I just had to get to the top of the hill. I got half way up and the POS started to surge then sputter. I was shittin bricks. I pushed the accelerator all the way to the floor and crossed my fingers and made it to the entrance. Thank you Baby Jesus. Thank you. I got out of the car and took the paperwork inside the office and went out to Dave and Dane in the truck. Dave immediately started to laugh. Oh my God you stink!He laughed! I cried out I know my shirts all wet, my hearts pounding and the back of my hair is all wet!!!!!!! He said that I didn't look nervous at all. He said every time he looked back at me I had a big stupid smile on my face like I didn't have a care in the world. At least I got that right.
I think it will be a long time before I thumb my nose at the law. I'm getting too old.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Mama Goose said...

Rebel.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

LOL! I wish I would have been there to see you, or better yet ride along. We could have been giggling and whooping it up like Thelma & Louise. :)

carsick said...

Damn Stacy I wish you could have been with me too:) It was quite a ride. We are still laughing about it.

FishermansDaughter said...

This was so funny...it would've been even funnier with ALL OF US in the car! Can you imagine the poor cop that pulled that motley crew ovah!? HAHAHA!!