Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Homeschool on the fly


I think I always knew I would start out homeschooling little Z.  It just seem to make sense. I talked about it, told people about it and then the day came and guess what!? I hadn't done anything about it. NOT ONE THING. Typical Missy. Or as Z calls me,"Last minute Missy."
So I quickly joined an awesome homeschool group that meets once a month at our church. I also joined another group where once a month we go somewhere like hiking or a walk in the woods. It was a start.

Then I had to scramble on a zero budget  to get something together to teach little Z's young mind. I still can't believe that I have ever taught my kids anything and that they have learned from it. It really does amaze me and it also makes me want to stick my tongue out at certain people who say you need a degree to teach. (Because I'm so mature)


I quickly found (after digging through a ton of bins in the basement) our very first homeschool bin. I struck paydirt. Everything I needed for this year. After two weeks though I realised that I didn't quite have everything.
You see, I didn't teach my kids to read. When I started to homeschool the girls they could already read. So after playing around with a few different things I knew I couldn't teach Dane to read without some serious guidence. I knew I couldn't afford Hooked on Phonics and I sooooo wanted to. I finally decided to go with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons . (purchased off of EBAY for $3.00) Today we started lesson 1. Either we'll learn to read or die trying.

3 comments:

FishermansDaughter said...

You can get SHIZ tons of stuff off e-bay for super cheap, plus check the public library and craigs list. You're WAY braver than me, joining a group is a great idea too - exposure to lots of different approaches so you don't have to reinvent the wheel yourself! Good luck!!

Mama Goose said...

You are made.of.awesome.
Oh. And he's stinkin' c.u.t.e

FishermansDaughter said...

Thanks for checking in on me and praying for a better week this week. OXOXOX Right back at ya baby. So, how YOU doin?