Saturday, February 18, 2012

Getting Back in writing


                                                                              The purchasing of Gus



Many years ago when Dave and I were newly married and my tears could still sway him,  Kadie and I used to go to work with him on weekend days. If we didn’t we would never see him. There really isn’t much to do when your husband’s setting up a driveway or a patio to pour concrete. Unless of course you actually want to help. I must be honest when I say that I didn’t want to help. What I liked to do was watch Dave work.  Nothing any better than watching a good looking man hard at work when that man is yours.

Kadie would bring her Barbie dolls and her beanie babies and what-ever else she could fit in her bag but she was only 6 and let’s face it she got bored rather easily.

This one Sunday she was bored and I was getting frustrated with her because nothing I did could keep her entertained. It was steaming out and we were directly in the scorching, hot, Florida sun. The people my husband was working for told us about a pet store a few blocks away. I thought BINGO this should keep us busy for awhile.

Little did I know that this day was going to be my and Dave’s first standoff with each other as a married couple.

Kadie and I grabbed our bottles of water and headed out to walk to the pet store. Or should I say puppy mill. When we walked into the store there were at least a hundred puppies all in kiddie wading pools. Probably eight to ten puppies per each pool. We wondered around for a long time admiring all of the cute wiggly puppies. All the while I had to keep telling Kadie no, we couldn’t get another dog. We already had a boxer and two cats that Dave was highly allergic to. When suddenly in one of the pools was the most beautifully ugly boxer puppy that I had ever seen.  He was chunky with a big tummy that begged to be rubbed. His liquid brown eyes would look at you and then roll in opposite directions and you could never (for his entire life) figure out exactly where he was looking. He also had thick green snot pouring from his nose and he smelled of something sour and rotten. Kadie and I were in love.

About that same time Dave strolls in and Kadie runs to him, grabs his hand and drags him to where I’m standing holding this precious bundle of smelly love. Dave wasn’t so smitten. While he assured us that yes the puppy was a nice puppy, we couldn’t afford one and further more this puppy was sick. He then told us he was almost finished and we should go back with him to help clean up so we could go home.

I have no idea what possessed me but I made a split second decision. I was going to act like a spoiled brat that wasn’t getting her way. (I didn’t see it like that at the time but I’ve had 19 years to think about it.) I grabbed Kadie’s hand and I said we aren’t leaving here without this dog. Dave shrugged his shoulders did an about face and walked out of the pet store. I smiled at Kadie and the bewildered look on her face and I said he’ll be back and this dog will be ours.

It was two hours before he finally came back and I was quite relieved because I was honestly starting to think he left us.

 I must tell you he wasn’t impressed with me but I wouldn’t give in. He would say we don’t need another dog and I would respond with, I want this puppy. He would say this dog cost $500.00 and I would say there are 550.00 dollars in the bank.  He would say I’m tired, it’s been a long day let’s go home and we’ll save for a puppy. I would stand and glare at him. He then pulled me aside from Kadie and let me know in no uncertain terms that I was acting like a brat and it was time to leave. I did the only thing I could do. I turned and gave Kadie a look, walked back over to her and we let the waterworks fly.

We named him Gus on the ride home.

1 comment:

FishermansDaughter said...

You're back! HORRAY!!! I've had a couple puppy mill pups myself and can relate - now I don't go anywhere near a pet store. Too heart wrenching. Missed you so much! OX <3